Thursday, March 10, 2011

Diddy’s Dirty Money Kaleena Says: “At First I Was Told I Was Too Black And Not Marketable…”


In a recent interview, Kaleena, the 3rd member of Diddy’s Dirty Money, speaks on how being dark skinned kept her from being able to shine in the music industry.
“I kind of started off as a solo artist, and I was doing that for a very long time. And you know, just coming up against obstacles; they was like, you know, ‘you too black,’ or ‘you’re not marketable.’ Whatever they came up with in their minds to say that I wasn’t artist material, you know. I just said I’m going to be a businesswoman, and I’m going to be like the Missy Elliotts, and the R. Kellys, and the Keith Sweats. I’m going to write for other artists, and they’re not going to have no other choice but to hear me, and to buy my music, and to respect me as an artist.
That was complexion wise. It was complexion, and you know something, it’s a difference between chocolate and brown and peanut butter and even Snicker bar, you know what I’m saying. Chocolate is something different, you know. And so the way they made it seem was, you black as night girl; you crispy, burnt black, and that’s just not marketable right now. And itwasn’t at the time to be totally honest with you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment