Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Ice Cube Talks Positive N.W.A. Memories, Groupies

Ice Cube Talks Positive N.W.A. Memories, GroupiesThe Predator waxes nostalgic, and reminds us that some things in the game never change.
Although N.W.A. and Ice Cube had a well-documented falling out, Cube still remembers the good ol' days.
In an interview with Hustler [website is not safe for work], Cube reminisced about the positive experiences he had. "My best memory was that we were doing something constructive," explained Cube. "You know what I mean? There were so many things to get into that weren’t constructive. I felt good that I was doing something that was not only fun, but also being a part of Hip Hop and being respected.
Even before N.W.A. it was about finding something to do. Because I grew up in an area [of South Central Los Angeles] where we used to have after-school programs. We used to have Little League. But as soon as I came of age, all those things started leaving the community. We were still into football and basketball, but the parks were closing, and things started to dwindle."

Cube continued, adding, "We were looking for more things to get into. You could either get into good shit or get into bad shit. Hip-hop was good even though adults didn’t like it. It had a good energy. With N.W.A., I was around people that were making records. We had a style that we knew people in our neighborhood liked, but didn’t know people would like around the world. So being West Coast rappers, we went for it! I still haven’t come down off that cloud which has carried me on this journey. I’m still riding that same wave that started when I was 17 years old."
Hustler, perhaps appropriately, asked Cube about the groupie scene. "The groupie situation don’t change. (Laughs.) They always the same. You got a group that people like, the women gonna be around. Period. I don’t know if that will ever stop."
And how does Cube, a married man, deal with the temptation? "I don’t give a fuck about groupies no more! Them days is over. I’ve been in the game over 20 years, man. The whole scene is played out."

No comments:

Post a Comment